Friday, September 25, 2009

Mini Cubs, UK Style

When I hear mention of mini cards, Topps 1975 is what comes to my mind. But I recently had the chance to pick up some minis from 1988 that I was completely unfamiliar with.

In 1988 Topps put out a mini set of cards that were sold in the UK. I wonder if John from The Pursuit of 80's(ness) remembers these? The set was mini in two different ways. First, there were only 88 cards in the set (the US Topps set had 792 cards). Secondly, the cards were mini sized, at 2 1/8" x 3".

The design of the cards is completely different than the US version, on both the front and the back. One of the different features on the back was a section titled Talkin' Baseball. The purpose of the section was to try to explain baseball to an unfamiliar audience in the UK.

Three Cubs were featured in the set, Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, and Rick Sutcliffe.





#65 Ryne Sandberg The card is on top of a regular 1988 card so you can see the difference n size. It shows Ryne with a mustache. I really don't remember him with a 'stache at all. I wonder if this was taken at spring training. I also didn't know that he enjoyed hiking.





#20 Andre Dawson The Hawk is in a nice action shot, taking a swing at Wrigley Field on a rainy day.





#77 Rick Sutcliffe The Cubs pitcher is making a pitch on a much nicer day in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment