Tuesday, August 24, 2010

So Who Are These Guys?

The Cubs' season has spun out of control and they have the third worst record in the National League. Players have been traded away and right now the roster is full of rookies and minor league retreads. Who are these guys?

Darwin Barney, Justin Berg, Welington Castillo, Casey Coleman, Thomas Diamond, Sam Fuld, Marcos Mateo....not exactly household names.

I've given up on trying to make Topps 2010 cards for all of the new guys. I'll wait until the end of the season to do that. And I'll have my work cut out for me.

Right now, only 11 of the players on the 25 man roster have a Cubs card in the Topps base set. That mean 14 new cards for me to make! And it is a real pain this year with the font Topps has for the names (has anyone figured out a simple way to duplicate the font? I haven't). I would suspect that a few will be included in the Update set, so that should lighten my load.

Here's another way to see just how much the Cubs roster has turned over. There were 20 active players with Cubs cards in Series One and Two. Nine of them (including Geovany Soto, who is on the DL) are no longer with the Cubs any more. That's almost half of them!



Well, I can't have a post without a card, so here is a 2010 card for Sam Fuld (whom I chose because he had the fewest number of letters in his name!).

I originally planned to post this yesterday, but pushed it back a day because of Lou PIniella's abrupt retirement. Since then, Sam Fuld and Welington Castillo were optioned back to Iowa. Geovany Soto returned from the DL and Micah Hoffpauir was brought up.

2 comments:

  1. Watched Darwin Barney play in college at Oregon State, glad to see he made it to the majors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the great Ron Santo, Sam Fuld has Type 1 diabetes.

    ReplyDelete