Monday, February 13, 2012

2012 Topps Cubs

My Topps 2012 cards have arrived!

This year I did things a little different. I bought all my series one cards from the same dealer, off of ebay. If you buy current major releases off of ebay, you should recognize the seller id of brentandbecca. He busts a ton of cases and always has a bunch of stuff available. I've gotten several of my cards from him. In December I sent Brent an email to see if he'd be willing to sell me a Cubs team set, all of the Cubs insert cards, and a complete series one set. I could save him the ebay fees and save myself multiple shipping charges and a lot of time to. Brent said sure, gave me a good price, and I was set.

The cards came all at once, which I'm sure my mailman appreciated, too! I was very happy with the way this turned out and hope to do the same with him for series two and the update series.

Today's cards are the base Cubs. Topps made the Cubs pay the price for a 71 win season: only six players are included, though Starlin Castro got a second card, plus a short-print variation. Six cards is a really small number. I'm sure that with all of the off-season moves, there will be more in series two. At least I hope so! And other than Castro, there isn't much star power either. This could be a loooong summer!



Up first is Marlon Byrd, making a catch in the ivy.



Reed Johnson is backing up into the ivy and away from the birds. Those birds seem to show up every day around 3:30 p.m. It also seems to be a more recent thing; I don't remember them except for the past 5-6 years.



Matt Garza, who recently avoided arbitration and signed a $9.5 million deal. Despite the deal, his name is still being tossed around in trade rumors.



Randy Wells...who must not have been having a good game, hence the glove in the mouth.



Geovany Soto, making a throw in San Francisco....I think. Aren't the cars on the wall behind Soto at AT&T Park?



Starlin Castro....the only bright spot among the six Cubs here.



Castro's SP variation card....this is the only card among all my Cubs that I didn't get from brentandbecca



and the Record Breaker card with Castro, the youngest NL hits leader in history. I'd have to double check, but I think this is the first time a Cubs player has been on a RB card.

Tomorrow I'll have the Cubs inserts.

1 comment:

  1. So far all of Starlin's base cards (2010, 2011, 2012) feature him turning a double play.

    I also bought a Cubs team set from brentandbecca this year! I only picked up the base cards, though. Thanks for posting the rest, WW!

    ReplyDelete