Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Wrigley Wax's Wall of Wax

As I mentioned yesterday, the main reason for buying a 2012 Topps pack was to add to my pack collection. I thought you might want to see what the wall looks like now, with 2012 added.



This display is above my workspace, so I see it every day when I'm working on the blog. The top row is a fifteen year run, from 1969 to 1983. The second shelf is another fifteen years, through 1998. The bottom row is fourteen years worth, from 1999 to 2012.

I figure I've got another four years worth of space before I need to add another shelf. I already have the shelf made, so when 2017 rolls around, I'm good to go.

As the years go by, the actual wax packs are getting closer to being a minority. Right now there are 23 packs that have actual wax wrappers, 1969 - 1991. Then there are two packs, 92-93, that are more like cellophane than wax, though they are the same size as the wax packs. The modern foil packs start with 1994, making nineteen of them. When I start using my fourth shelf in 2017, wax will be a minority.

But I won't be changing the blog's name to Wrigley Foil.

11 comments:

  1. Wrigley Foil just doesn't have the same ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you avoid the temptation to bust those puppies open? Maybe because they look so damn cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! As Dhoff mentions, are those packs unopened?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool display. I have a different question. Are you actively searching for older wax to add to the beginning or is 1969 significant?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the packs are fake; most are real. The 1969 - 1981s are all repacks. I was originally just going to collect the wrappers, so I started buying empty ones. But I never found a good way to display them. So I decided to just re-seal them and make them look like the real deal. The cards in the packs are from the actual year (they were my doubles), but the gum is missing. Starting with '82 I was able to finding reasonably priced unopened packs. The years of the packs correspond with my complete sets, so that has helped me resist the urge to bust 'em...I've already got the cards that are in the packs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've stopped at '69. The earlier ones are too rich for my blood, plus I've matched the wax with my sets...'69-present

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sets these days have different wrappers for Series 1 and Series 2, but I suppose you don't want to get into that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to go and make me a peanut butter and jealous sandwich. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Paul! You would think that for as many packs of '72 through '79 that I bought, that I'd recognize them almost second nature. '76 looks very familiar, and '75 forever reminds me of the wacky pack "Beastball". But I don't think I'd guess that I would have remembered that '74 looks just like '76 wrapper. Great collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photo. I have never seen anything like that before; very unique!!

    ReplyDelete