Saturday, September 29, 2012

Oddball Darwin Barney

Here's the latest addition to my Darwin Barney collection...



....a Cubs season ticket.  Tickets to the 81 home games feature a different Topps Cubs card.  The weird thing about the Barney ticket is that it's from Saturday, September 15.....the game I was at!!  My tickets were bought off StubHub and downloaded from the site.  I never saw an actual ticket.  If I knew that Barney was on the ticket, I would have asked a few of the people sitting around me it I could have theirs.

The card the Cubs used was the only Topps card of Barney's available at the time, from last season.

The cards on the tickets was a great idea.  Anyone know if other teams have done this in the past or did the Cubs actually come up with an original idea?

Each of the four other players I collect (Ernie Banks, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Billy Williams) were also on tickets during the year.  I found a seller that had all four, and I hope to have those tickets in a couple more days.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool, for sure. I know in a lot of ballparks (definitely the Mets at Citi Field) they show Topps cards to post the home team lineup for the day - but haven't seen it on tickets anywhere.

    ReplyDelete