Saturday, February 1, 2014

Nice Little Swap With This Way To The Clubhouse

Mark from This Way to the Clubhouse was interested in the Drakes Gary Carter card that was part of a panel I bought for the Ryne Sandberg card.  I was happy to stick it in a PWE and send it his way.  He was happy to be able to add it to a Drakes collection that features some mangled Mets.

Last week I got a return PWE from Mark that had this card....


...of Mr. Cub.

I'm pleased to say that it was a card not in my Ernie collection.  In fact, I had never seen the card before.

It comes from a 1984 set put out by TCMA called All Time All Stars.  The set has 18 cards in it, nine players from each league.  The chosen players were those who, according to the back of the card,  "compiled the greatest All Star Game records."  The National League cards have a red border while the American League players are framed in blue.

Ernie Banks played in 13 All Star games and had a career .303 average with 1 homer and 3 RBIs.  I'd have to say that hitting over .300 against the best pitchers in the other league is a pretty decent accomplishment.

Too bad they showed Mr. Cub in street clothes.  The cards don't mention any license, but that's not the reason for the lack of a uniform.  The picture is from 1958 after Banks was named the NL's MVP.  More on the picture here.

I lifted some pictures from an Ebay seller that has both the AL and NL sets for sale...



...and you can see that every other player is in uniform.

Thanks, Mark, for the new card and the opportunity to learn about another set.

2 comments:

  1. I somehow obtained a complete set of these when I was first getting into baseball cards, and I had no idea what the heck they were. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how pleased and proud I am to actually add a new card to your extensive collection!! Good research on the card and the set, too.

    Thanks for the trade!

    ReplyDelete