Sunday, July 20, 2014

Five Random Cubs Cards

I've got 12,610 Cubs cards from 92 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades.


1900s - 1970s: 1979 Galasso Glossy Greats #72 Kiki Cuyler This card came from the Brooklyn sports card dealer Renata Galasso.  Anyone who was in the hobby in the late 70's should recognize the name.  She had ads in many different baseball publications as was a bigtime seller.  I bought my first compete set from her back in 1978.  She put out her own set of cards that featured players from the past and this Cuyler card comes from that set.  She usually included the set as a bonus with a purchase.


1980s: 1987 Classic Green #35 Ryne Sandberg A very young looking Ryne Sandberg was the only Cub in the first set put out by Classic.  A sprained ankle cost Ryno 26 games in the 1987 season, but he still won the Gold Glove, his fifth straight.


1990s: 1998 Cubs Convention Ernie Banks  The Cubs gave these oversized (3 1/2" x 4") cards to attendees at the 1998 convention.  The set has a total of 30 cards that featured 46 different players and announcers.  The picture on the card is from 1957, since that was the only season the Cubs wore those white stirrups.


2000s: 2005 Heritage Clubhouse Collection Relic #EB Ernie Banks  Heritage and Ginter are the only sets in which is collect all the Cubs relic cards.  2005 Heritage had this nice bat card of Mr. Cub, which I gladly added to my collection.


2010s: 2010 Topps PPR #KF Kosuke Fukudome  As happy as I was to add Ernie to the collection, in 2010 I had to add Kosuke's jersey.  At this time I was grabbing all the Cubs Topps relics, and in 2010 I ended up with 14 different relic cards, including this Fukudome card and another of his from series two.  After another boatload in 2011, I came up with my one per player rule that I now happily use.

No comments:

Post a Comment