Friday, January 1, 2016

Grading My 2015 Collection Goals


Happy New Year!  Welcome to 2016, the year of the World Champion Chicago Cubs!

As I've done each January 1, I'm going to go back and review my goals from the previous year.

GOAL #1: Add my usual Cubs team sets as they are released: Topps flagship, Heritage, Opening Day, Factory Team set, Bowman, Allen and Ginter, Chrome, Gypsy Queen, and Update.  If Topps adds anything that is new, interesting, and affordable, I'll probably go after it.  All accomplished, but nothing new tickled my fancy...Grade: A

GOAL #2: Add the complete sets of the flagship, update, and Allen and Ginter.  I've got a flagship run starting with 1969 and the complete run of Traded / Update and Allen and Ginter.  I see no reason to stop.  All accomplished...Grade: A

GOAL #3: Add any autograph and relic cards for Cubs players that haven't previously had one.  I'm done with players from previous seasons, so now its just a matter of adding new guys as cards are issued.  Almost all accomplished...just missing a Bryant autograph and I may be missing one for a while...Grade: B+

GOAL #4: Continue adding to the player collections.  This year I'd like to go back and fill in some Barney holes.  I know that there are several parallels that I need so I'll try to get those.  I won't be buying and 2015 Barney cards, so I figure that what I don't have to spend on 2015 cards can be used for the older ones.  I started on completing the Billy Williams PSA Collection and I've added lots of extra Barneys....Grade: A

GOAL #5: Add odd-ball sets. I plan to keep up my daily search of ebay for these.  I've got my eye on Upper Deck Ovation to start things off.  Ovation was added, and a couple others, but this is getting tougher....Grade: B

GOAL #6: Write something about the collection every day.  Done!  Grade: A

GOAL #7:  Enjoy working on goals 1-6. I'm in trouble when I can't meet this goal.  Done! Grade: A

Overall, 2015 was a good year for the collection as it continues to grow.  This year I added 616 new Cubs cards.

Here's hoping that 2016 will be just as successful for me and the Cubs!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you crushed it in 2015! Happy New Year, here's to another great year (at least for Cubs' fans, for Reds' fans not-so-much I'm afraid).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....and it wasn't too long ago that the tables were turned.

      Delete
    2. Thanks....and it wasn't too long ago that the tables were turned.

      Delete
  2. Nice job, you nailed your goals for 2015. Happy New Year and good luck on tracking down a Bryant one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solid grades across the board. If you lived in my house growing up... you'd $25 ($5 for each A on your report card). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a joy following your blog the past couple years. I'm sure I've learned more about Cubs cards reading your blog than I had known starting out. That Bryant auto can be had, likely if you chase some of the easier copies (surely the flagship will be loaded with them in 2016). If I can snipe an Ernie RC for $100, you can get a Bryant auto for much less!

    ReplyDelete