Monday, June 17, 2019

1989 J.J. Nissen Cubs

East coast bakery J.J. Nissen put out a 20-card set in 1989.  They lacked an MLB license so logos were removed.  One Cub made the set


Grace was an up-and-coming player and he was selected over the Cubs two MVPs Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson.

Though a budding star, Grace was not well known to MSA, the company that produced the cards.  The initial release had a picture of Vance Law on the Grace card.  My card is the corrected version.

I've tried to find the error card but have had no luck.  The Standard Catalog put a price of $3 on it, so I figured that it can't be that rare.  But none of my usual haunts have the card.

3 comments:

  1. J.J. Nissen? That's a new one to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this is a new one for me. Did Topps print this set for J.J. Nissen? I love these 1980s oddball sets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of Nissen... but then again I'm on the West Coast. Best of luck tracking down the error card for your collection.

    ReplyDelete