Sunday, September 15, 2019

Five Random Cubs Cards

I've got 17,240 Cubs cards from 200 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades.




1900s - 1970s: 1975 Hall of Fame Postcard Ralph Kiner This is from the postcards that I picked up on vacation in late June.  




1980s: 1987 Topps #732 Manny Trillo Autograph This card is a part of my non-rule following autograph collection.  It's not certified, but I can't image that there are too many Manny Trillo forgers out there.



1990s: 1997 Pinnacle #60 Jamie Navarro After two decent years with the Cubs, Navarro became a free agent after the 1996 season.  The Cubs didn't bother to resign him.  Instead, he went south to the White Sox for 1997.  His record also went south, as he was 9-14 with a 5.79 ERA.



2000s: 2009 Topps LPR #23 Ernie Banks All Star Patch I was all-in with these gimmicky patch cards ten years ago.  I've cooled to them now and haven't bought one in at least five years.



2010s: 2013 Team Issued Giveaway #82 Steve Trachsel  This is the last card in the set.  The Cubs included Trachsel because he was the winning pitcher for the Cubs in the 1998 wild card tie breaker game against the Giants.




3 comments:

  1. The team issued giveaway set is great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine that there are too many Manny Trillo forgers out there, either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've cooled off on those manufactured patch cards as well. I wasn't a huge fan of this set in particular with all of the gray cardboard in the background surrounding the patch.

    ReplyDelete