Tuesday, February 28, 2023

The 1988 Cubs Cards in the 2023 Set

Topps is again celebrating a 35th year anniversary for a sets release.  They have been doing that since 2018.  I've always thought it odd to be doing a 35 year celebration.  35 is not a very round number.  I could see 25 or 50, but 35? 

I've also come up with my theory as to doing 35.  Heritage goes back 49 years.  So Topps can't go back 50 years because that would be too close to Heritage.  25 years isn't going back far enough.  So they settled on 35 years.  

Want to see what Heritage will look like in 14 years?  Look at this year's inserts.

The two 1988 sets are the base cards and the silver pack chrome cards.  Each set has 100 cards.

 


Three Cubs are among the 100 cards.  It looks like Topps is jumping on the Christopher Morel bandwagon.  I think we will see a lot of him.  Its nice to see Ryno, too.

 

 

The silver pack set includes four Cubs.  I was very surprised to see Suzuki not included.  Towards the end of last year Topps put him in just about every set.  I assume they are saving him for series two.  Also note that the silver pack set is not a parallel to the base set.  The picture has been changed on the cards of any player in both sets.

1 comment:

  1. I hope in 14 years Heritage gets the '88 design down better than these inserts!

    Also, Topps used to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the design with these inserts, then magically changed it to 35 years in 2018, probably to avoid doing the '88 design the first time.

    ReplyDelete