Thursday, January 21, 2010

Everyone's Gone Surfin...Well, I did!

A few weeks ago a reader posted a comment about Surf books. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. So I was off to Google.



A little digging around and I discovered that this is a Surf book. These were put out by Surf detergent in the late '80s. There was a book for each team, and it pictured every Topps cards for the team, season by season. Cool idea!

The next stop was ebay and for $4.00 I was the proud owner of the 1987 Cubs Surf book.



This is what the 1969 page looks like. It's got a short rundown of the season, and then the cards in alphabetical order

I paged through the book side by side with my Cubs binders to see if there was a card I missed. As it turns out, it was the Surf people who missed a few.

First, they started with 1952. I guess they didn't consider the 1951 cards to be true baseball cards. I do.





The 1964 pages were missing the Ken Hubbs In Memorium card. They go from Glen Hobbie to Larry Jackson.



The 1968 pages were missing the Ken Holtzman All-Star card, though the included Ron Santo's.

But the best thing of all is this, on the last page of the book...



...a Surf coupon with no expiration date. It's 23 years old, but its still good!

2 comments:

  1. I've got the Dodgers and Red Sox Surf versions. I've been tempted to get them all some day. But I can't stop buying cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Hands (1969) looks like a wax mannequin!

    ReplyDelete