Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Need Some Scanner Help!

I was doing some scanning for a few future posts and I'm getting scans that look like this:



Notice the "boxes" on the uniform, in the sky, and the gray border? If you click on the card, you can see in the enlarged picture just how much of a problem there is.



Here is a scan I made of a similar card last March, with the exact same scanner settings. Its got none of the problems of the Aguirre scan.

Have any of you had this problem before? My scanner is an HP Scanjet 4850. Is it going bad?

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if this will help, but here goes. http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/ht/apsremovemoire.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some trouble shooting suggestions which maybe you've done. If you rescan the Kessinger card and it looks ok, I'd say it was the Aguiree card. If the rescan looks like the Aguiree card it's you scanner. Whenever I get artifacts like that (and I'm sure it's not the scanner) I try scanning at a higher resolution and then resizing to what you want in Photoshop (or whatever you're using).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a Canon 4200F, and when mine look like that, I'm either scanning or saving under a low resolution.
    Try knocking it up a bit, and see how that goes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at all of the cards in the series with Aguirre. Some of the cards have probably have
    more uneven paper fibers in the pics. You can see a little lack of clarity in the Kessinger card.
    Best thing to do is to edit them in Photoshop
    using brightness/contrast, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To get rid of weird moire patterns, I scan at 600dpi and reduce afterwards. Since changing from 300 to 600, I've never had a problem with distortion on any of my scans (that aren't caused by a streak on the glass, anyway).

    ReplyDelete