Thursday, March 21, 2024

I Received La Boite

 Reader Angus from Ontario reached out to me, offering an empty O-Pee-Chee wax pack box from 1987.  I gladly accepted and la boite (the box) arrived yesterday.

I don't have a box collection, and I'm not planning to start one.  However, this box is more than just a box.  There are cards on the bottom of the box and one of them is a Cub. 

Which Cub from 1987?  Ryno??  Rick Sutcliffe?  Jody Davis?  Shawon Dunston?

Nope to all four.  The Cub on the box is... (and if Night Owl is reading this, you might want to look away!)

Ron Cey!  There are four cards in the panel, as you can see.  The front of the card is the same as a regular 1987, though these are a little smaller.  They measure 2 1/8" x 3".  The backs of the cards are completely different.  They highlight a career milestone accomplished by the player in 1986.  Cey's was career homer #300.

Normally I'd be in a quandary about whether to cut up the cards or not.  But since this is from the junk wax era, these boxes are very plentiful, so I have no qualms about cutting out the Cey card.

I was not aware that Topps and O-Pee-Chee did this with cards on the box, so I had to do some digging.  I'll share what I found tomorrow,

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, and to find something new for your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cards off boxes are one the great collecting joys in life! ... Although that's clearly a counterfeit, placing players in uniforms they never wore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you do have to appreciate that the homers mentioned on the card helped the Cubs beat the Giants.

      Delete
  3. Very cool that OPC went and printed cards on the bottom of their boxes. I'm pretty sure the Topps boxes had two-card panels printed on the sides.

    ReplyDelete