Saturday, March 30, 2024

Eighties Alphabetically - Cap'n Crunch Cubs Card

 How's that title for alliteration!

What kid didn't love some Cap'n Crunch for breakfast.  Nothing like a load of sugar to get the day started!

By 1989 I was a husband and dad with two kids meaning my Cap'n Crunch days were over.  I never saw the cards the the Cap'n put out.  His was a one and done set of 22 cards.  Specially marked boxes contained a pack of two cards plus some gum.

Gum you say?  Yes, because the Cap'n partnered with Topps for his baseball cards, which I think is pretty cool.  Unfortunately, the budget didn't include money for an MLB license, so the cards are missing logos.

Andre Dawson was the only Cub in the set.  The 8 inside the baseball is not the card number. Topps put the player's uniform number in there.  

3 comments:

  1. Love me some Capn Crunch, regardless of what it does to the roof of my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gum in a cereal box does seem deeply weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went hard at trying to complete this set back in '89. Ended up needing only card #4 Frank Viola. I still have some dupes still in the wrapper (with the gum!) Even though these cards were not MLB-licensed, these cards still have a fun vibrant design. Even the backs were pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete