Friday, July 2, 2010

2010 Topps Pro Debut Cubs

I got in on the Allen and Ginter party early, but for this one, I'm really late!

Topps Pro Debut came out in March, but I didn't take notice of them at all. But recently I found a Cubs team set and that peaked my curiosity. Since this is Topps' first venture into the MiLB arena, I thought I'd go ahead and grab the Cubs. After all, how often do I get a chance to have a Peoria Chiefs or Boise Hawks card?

There are 220 cards in the set. Divide that among 30 teams and you should get 7 or 8 players per team. There were seven Cubs, right on target.

I don't follow the Cubs minor league teams all that carefully, so I have to confess that I have never heard of any of these guys. If more than one of them ends up with the team I'd be surprised.

Here are the seven featured Cubs prospects, plus a little update on how things are going for them so far this summer.



Chris Archer He came to the Cubs in December, 2008, as part of the trade that sent Mark DeRosa to the Indians. He is currently at High A Daytona and he is hot! As a starter, his record is 7-1 with a 2.86 ERA. Those are the kinds of numbers that will get you a promotion!



Ryan Flaherty
He was the Cubs second pick in the 2008 draft. After hitting .313 at Daytona, he was moved up to AA Tennessee. He's struggled there, hitting only .183 in 23 games



Brett Jackson He
was the Cubs first round pick in the 2009 draft and was a non-roster invitee to spring training. He is the Cubs #2 prospect according to Baseball America. After hitting .316 in 67 games at Daytona, he was just moved up to AA Tennessee.



Hak-Ju Lee Will he be H-Lee if he makes it to Wrigley? He is the regular shortstop for the A Peoria Chiefs and is hitting .270.



D. J. LeMahieu
A second round pick in the 2009 draft, D.J. is listed as a second baseman on this card, but as a shortstop on some Bowman cards. He is currently getting playing time at second and third base at Daytona and is hitting .291.



Brooks Raley With a name like Brooks, he should be playing third base, not pitching. With an ERA of 5.14 in Daytona, he should be playing third base!



Rebel Ridling I hope this guy makes it just because of his name. How cool of a name is "Rebel Ridling." Rebel is in Daytona, playing first base and hitting .267.

Check back in three years and well see if any of these guys made it to the show.

1 comment:

  1. Or check back in four years! So far DJ is the only one who's become a solid major leaguer.

    ReplyDelete