Friday, May 20, 2011

Billy Williams Player Collection

Yesterday I showed the mistake I made as I was adding to my Billy Williams PC. Today, I've got the good stuff. Over the past few weeks I've added 65 different card to my collection. Most were from either Sportlots or Checkoutmycards. With these new ones added in, I'm now up to 124 different cards, doubling the number I had before.

As with Ernie Banks, there are plenty of cards that use the same photo. With older players, I guess there is no way to get around that. I wish that wasn't the case, but the reality seems to be that card companies aren't going to go out of their way to dig up previously unused pictures.

All of my recent purchases are from after Billy retired. I know there are cards from his playing days that I don't have, but I was more interested in bulk, so I went for the less-expensive, more modern cards. I'll add the older cards later, a few at a time.



This is the oldest of the cards I added, from TCMA's 1982 Greatest Sluggers set.



And this was the newest, SP Legendary Cuts from 2008.

The rest are my favorites from the 65 new ones



TCMA 1985 Rookies of the Year; I like the nice color shot from 1969; though if the card is for Rookies of the Year, a picture from 1961 would have been more appropriate



1992 Upper Deck Fan Fest, with a nice shot from spring training of the blue pinstripes



2002 Donruss Classics, a young Williams at the Polo Grounds in New York



2003 Donruss Team Heroes, at Wrigley in the early spring



2004 Donruss Throwback Threads Generations, with Billy, Andre Dawson, and Sammy Sosa



2006 SP Legendary Cuts Baseball Chronology, Billy from the mid seventies.

I'll finish up with the most popular picture of Billy Williams, as he takes a cut at Shea in the late 60's. I've got 12 different cards with that picture!








No comments:

Post a Comment