Saturday, May 14, 2011

Reagan At Wrigley



My favorite card in the Opening Day set is the card of President Reagan throwing out the first pitch at Wrigley Field on Friday, September 30, 1988. I thought it would be interesting to find out the story behind his appearance.

The decision to go to the game seemed to be on a lark. Reagan was in Chicago to give a speech at a Republican fundraiser. A last minute decision was made to go see the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Reagan, of course, had some history with the Cubs. He re-created Cubs games for an Iowa radio station in 1934.

I wonder what the reaction of the Secret Service was when Reagan said he wanted to go to the ballgame. Lucky for them, this was the last weekend of the season and the Cubs were no where near the top of the league. The attendance at the game was only 9,805. I'm sure the fact that there was no advanced notice of his visit also made things a little easier on the Secret Service. The start of the game was delayed for 36 minutes while security got things set up.



Reagan spent some time in the dugout before the game talking with the Cubs. Here he is with Andre Dawson, Doug Dascenzo, and Shawon Dunston. When it was time to make the pitch, Reagan took the mound. That might seem like no big deal today, but I've found a few sources that claim that this was the first time a current president made the pitch from the field. In the past, the president would make the throw from his box seat.



That is Cubs catcher Damon Berryhill receiving the pitch





Reagan also wore a Cubs jacket, the first time a presidents sported team apparel. I'm undecided as to whether he was wearing a Kevlar jacket under his shirt. In some of the pictures, especially the last one, it looks like there is a straight line just above his waist. I know some modern presidents have complained that the jacket makes throwing more difficult. It doesn't look like the 78 year old Reagan had any problem zipping one in.




Once the game began, Reagan went up to the TV booth and sat in for a couple innings with Harry Caray and Steve Stone. He shared some of this broadcasting stories and then did a little play by play. His stay at the ballpark lasted for only an hour, but I'm sure it was a life time memory for the players and fans.

2 comments:

  1. I watched that game on TV and remember Reagan doing the play by play for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the batboy at this game. My dad, brother and I drove all night from Peterborough Ontario to enjoy the last weekend of the season in Wrigley. We arrived early in a drizzle to watch batting practice that morning. We were nearly the only ones in the stands. Then suddenly there was this slight man of Asian descent in front of my seat asking if I wanted to be batboy. It was Yosh Kawano asking if I wanted to be the batboy as the usual batboy was in school and they needed one that day. I was the right size and wearing a Cubs cap so I guess he thought I was a reasonable candidate. I thought he was kidding but no he said, "follow me," and I dutifully did, down the stairs, under the stands and . into the clubhouse where teh next thing I know I am suiting up with the team. For a kid who grew up in southern Ontario, seeing his favorite team. I was in awe. Could life get better?

    Next thing I know I am in the dugout with the trainers waiting for the game to start but there is a delay. Then a very large shaggy dog comes through the dugout with handlers and, puzzled, I asked the trainers what was going on. One replied "Didn't they tell you? The President is coming today to throw the first pitch. Look at the roof and the flag poles over the stands". I looked up and spotted what I thought might be sharpshooters there for security (the President had nearly been assassinated only a few years before). What had been a dream just went into overdrive.

    Next thing I know the President is coming through the dugout, shaking hands with everyone. When he got to me, I was truly gobsmacked, lost all sense of protocol and mumbled "I'm so glad to meet you Mr. Reagan". He looked at me in the eye, and I realized to my horror how I had just disrespected him by not referring to him as "Mr. President". Then he smiled and I breathed a sign of relief as he moved on. He might have gotten to the mound sooner that day, but at the end of the dugout, Don Zimmer had a huge armful of balls and he got the President to sign each one before he could step up onto the field.

    The rest of the game passed in a blur. A few times I had to be reminded to go get the bat as, sitting in the on-deck circle looking at the crowd I realized where I was and the situation got the best of me. Also - the game went back and forth with the Cubs nearly pulling it off but finally falling short 10-9 when the Pirates scored a run in the 9th that the Cubs couldn't match. The umpires also had a laugh when they played the old "find the key to the batter's box" routine on me - I played along. I hoped the game would go on forever, but unfortunately no game can.

    So a little bit of backstory from the most minor of characters on the field that day. It was a truly special moment in Cubs history and for a kid from Canada a truly special day I will never forget, when not only did a dream come true and I got to see a game from the dugout, but I met the President of the United States too. I'm an American citizen now teaching college in Wyoming, and on opening day every year I tell the story to my students as I explain why I'm wearing my Cubs cap to celebrate another new season of Cubs baseball.

    Oh - and when it was over and I had got out of my uniform and headed for the street, Yosh stopped me on the way out and gave me five bucks for my "work". I should have asked him to sign it and saved the bill, but I guess I was still awestruck by the entire situation. It was an amazing day. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete