Saturday, May 28, 2011

Topps 1970 Comic Book Inserts

In yesterday's post on the Kimball Champion inserts I had a line about the Topps 1970 comic book inserts. I wanted to include a link to the post I did about the comic books. So I did a quick search for that post, but discovered that I didn't have one....

....until today!

There were 24 different story booklets in the set. A player from each of the 24 MLB teams was included. That meant that some superstars were left out (Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Juan Marichal, Fergie Jenkins, Tom Seaver, Johnny Bench, and Lou Brock among others), since only one player per team made the list. That also means some less than stellar names made the list (Jay Johnstone, Wally Bunker, Al Ferrara) simply because Topps had to come up with someone on the star-deficient teams.

The booklet was eight pages long. The fronts featured a head shot of the player, and the back was a checklist of all 24 booklets. The rest of the booklet told about the players life and career in the typical hokey way that Topps did things back then.

Here are the 24 booklets in numerical order. Topps numbered them by team city alphabetically, starting with the American League teams.





And below is what the stories look like. On his 80th birthday I featured the Ernie Banks story. I'll repeat it here....Let's Read Two!








No comments:

Post a Comment