Wednesday, November 16, 2011

So That's What Was Missing

Your assignment from yesterday was to figure out what I left off of this card, and why. The first part got answered in a hurry. David In the North and Jim From Downingtown nailed down the second question too.



In case you didn't figure it out yet, here is my card side by side with another '63 card.



Can you see what's missing from Barney's card?

I left off his position. You can see from Brewer's card that there is a "P" on it, for pitcher. All of the '63 cards listed the players position....

....except for one card....



....this card, of Cubs second baseman Ken Hubbs. The error went uncorrected, so there is no extra value for the card. But since he was the Cubs' second baseman, I thought it was appropriate to do the same thing with Cubs current second baseman.

I wrote more about the Ken Hubbs story here. I also happened upon the following picture a couple days ago.


I'd never seen a picture of his crashed plane before. Kinda grewsome; very sad.

Back to the cards, I wonder if Topps will do the same thing with Barney's Heritage card?

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I definitely wouldn't have gotten that. We'll have to see if Topps holds true to this in 2012 Heritage. I bet they will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo used on the 1966 Dick Ellsworth card is the small photo on Hubbs' 1963 card.

    ReplyDelete