Saturday, January 26, 2013

Nearly Three Years Later...Complete!!

In March, 2010, I started putting together a Cubs run from all the different sets from Star.  According to my count there were 31 different sets.  By September I had 21 of the sets---the easy ones.  Getting the last ten has been a slow, waiting game.  One by one the missing sets (all of Ryne Sandberg) showed up.  It was just about a year ago that I picked up the ninth.

But number ten, 1992 Star Millennium, has been invisible.  I don't think I ever saw it once.  I have a saved ebay search for "1992 Sandberg Star" and "1992 Millennium" but it never delivered me a thing.

About ten days ago I got an email from Ryne Sandberg supercollector Tai tipping me off to a Sandberg 1992 Millennium set that was just listed.  Chances are I would have gotten an email from my saved search the next morning, but I was happy to have the advanced notice.  Even better, the listing was a BIN at a reasonable price.  I hit the BIN immediately!  After waiting nearly three years, I wasn't going to take any chances.

The cards came last week, and after they were scanned, I put them into my completed Star binder!  Ahh!  The joy of a task completed!

As for the cards themselves, they are the usual Star 9-card set.  The Millennium set has a similar design to other 1992 Star sets like Gold, Silver, or Platinum.  There were 750 Millennium sets made, and now, finally, I've got one of them!

 

 

 

 


5 comments:

  1. i'm glad there are no double play cards in there for me to chase. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It must feel great to finish off a quest like that. I have a few of the Rickey Henderson sets in my collection but there are a ton more to go. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the completion! I expect to see a new Tile Tuesday soon. Now to find the 1992 Stellar for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I expect to see a new Tile Tuesday soon."

    Were you peeking in my scheduled posts....because that's exactly what I've got ready for Tuesday!

    How long have you been chasing the Stellar...I feel kinda guilty that I snagged one before you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been chasing the stellar for a couple of years. Don't feel guilty. I still find it amazing that you tracked it down the way you did. I did, however, make the mistake of going back through the complete listings and found a set by the same seller you just picked your Millenium up from. Needless to say, I was banging my head for a while.

      * Waiting for that person to leave feedback...

      Delete