Friday, December 12, 2014

Another Billy Williams Pin

This cost me a whole dollar...I'm happy with that.

Billy Williams Pin Day was on June 22, 1998...I think.  The schedule and media guide for 1998 don't list a specific Billy Williams pin day, thought Ernie Banks MVP Pin Day was on August 20.  There is a listing for "Commemorative Lapel Pin" on June 22, so I'm assuming that this was the day for the Billy pin.  They were given to the first 10,000 adults. The paid attendance that day was 39,556 so I can guess that they were all given out.

The pin came in a clear plastic bag and was attached to the card.  You can see that there are Billy's career stats listed.



As for the pin itself, well....

Two problems.

First, the number font is wrong.  It's a pet peeve of mine when a Cub item has the wrong font for the numbers, especially when its the Cubs that make the mistake!

Second problem.....the Cubs never used names of the back during Billy's playing career.  



The new pin makes a nice companion piece with my other Billy Williams pin,


which also has the wrong number font.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you in that pet peeve. If you are making a product about the team, make it accurate!!!! Who looks at the designs of the giveaways and signs off on them looking that incorrect?

    ReplyDelete