Thursday, June 11, 2020

The Final King B

In March of 2019 I put together the Cubs team set for all of the King B discs.  King B is a jerky-type snack meat and for 10+ years they put out a set of baseball discs.  I was able to find all of the Cubs discs except for one.  

How was the missing player?  It wasn't Ryne Sandberg.  He had five over the years and I got all of them.

Andre Dawson?  Nope, he was in just the first set in 1988 and I got his disc?

The missing disc came from the 1999 set.  That was the year after the big home run chase between McGwire and Sosa.  Everyone started collecting Sammy stuff, so he must be the missing disc.

Makes sense, but no.  Sammy wasn't in the 1999 set.  In fact, Sammy was never in a King B set.

The other big names with the Cubs in 1999 were Mark Grace and Kerry Wood.  But they weren't in the 1999 set either.

You'll never guess who it was.  Making it even harder to guess is the fact that the player was with the Cubs just two years at the end of his career.  And he wasn't a big star, either.


It took me nearly a year and a half to find a disc for Mickey Morandini!  I'm clueless as to why it was so hard to find.  One finally showed up on Ebay and I grabbed it immediately.  My King B set is complete!

2 comments:

  1. That's totally weird that they didn't include Sammy in 1999. Maybe he had an exclusive contract with a company or something.

    ReplyDelete