Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Bye Bye Robel

I saw on Sunday that the Reds claimed Robel Garcia from the Cubs through waivers.

That means that the guy who had cards in 2020 Topps, Bowman, Gypsy Queen, Total, 1985 Topps insert, and the Silver Pack insert set played a total of 0 games for the Cubs.


It also means I wasted five bucks on a losing gamble.  I picked up this autograph card in case he played for the Cubs in 2020.  If he did get into a game that would added him to my certified autograph collection.


My only hope now is that it's not too late for Topps to remove him from any upcoming sets.  They've already given him too many cards.

5 comments:

  1. My bet is he's already been included in at least Archives and/or A&G.
    I understand why Topps does it, but I sure wish they wouldn't flood so many of their checklists with middling rookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The middling rookies probably accept less money to sign autos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: middling rookies, all rookies in Topps sets

    I mentioned this on my blog, but it was an eye-opener to read from Sooz's new newsletter (former blogger/worker at Topps) that when Topps begins filling its checklist each year, it STARTS with the rookies. Then it fills in the spaces with veterans, etc. That's why we get dumb choices like Robel Garcia in sets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Robel turns into the next Joe Morgan for the Reds and this $5 purchase turns into a $500 collectible. Sorry. Just trying to make you feel better. At least it was only five bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw that Robel was gone I though of you shaking your head and I was right. Although, I'm still disappointed we didn't get a goodbye Rob Zastryzny blog from you when he was cut featuring the 3,424 cards that he inexplicably got.

    ReplyDelete