Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What I Collect, Part One...The Sets

I don't think I've ever really talked specifically about what cards I collect. Obviously I collect Cubs cards. But my collection of 103,336 cards is only about 10% Cubs. What makes up the other 90%?

In a word, sets. The bulk of my collection is made up of complete sets. When I get a set, I'll either buy the complete set or I'll put it together by buying singles. I don't buy packs. That means I never have much of anything to trade with. I get a request or two a month to do some trading, but I usually have to say no. It's not that I'm trying to be a snob or anything, it's just that I don't have anything to send out.

My set collection has three pieces, Topps, Fleer, and initial releases.

Regular readers should know which Topps sets I have from my monthly set price tracking. I've got the sets from 1969 to 2012. I start with 1969 because that is the first year I bought cards. I also have all the traded/update sets, too. The base sets are kept in binders while the traded sets are in boxes. My Topps complete set total is 36,849.

I also have a complete run of Fleer sets, from 1981 through 2006. I bought my first Fleer set in 1981, figuring it would be an investment worth thousands. Boy was I wrong! I also have the Fleer traded set, though I'm short two cards. The Kirby Puckett and Roger Clemens cards from the 1984 set are very expensive and I just couldn't spend that kind of money. I keep the Fleer cards in boxes for now. The Fleer card total is 19,229.

The third part of my complete sets are initial releases of other brands. My goal is to have the first year release of any set that is a part of my Cub collection. I haven't reached that goal, but right now I've got the first year set of 45 brands. With several I also have the second year, too. These sets I keep in binders.  The total of these cards is 36,113.

 Here's a list of the different brands I've got:

Action Packed 1992
Allen and Ginter 2006 – 2012 (complete run)
Baseball Heroes 2008
Baseball Legends 1988-1990 (complete run)
Bazooka 1988
Big 1988
Bowman 1989, 1990
Collectors Choice 1994
Conlon 1991-1995 (complete run)
Cracker Jack 2004
Diamond Kings 2002
Donruss 1981, 1982
Fan Favorite 2003
Flair 1993
Gallery 1996
Goudey 2007
Greats of the Game 2000-2006 (complete run)
Gypsy Queen 2011
Heritage 2001
Hygrade 1987
Kelloggs 1970
Kimball Champion 2011
Leaf 1985, 1986, 1993
Lineage 2011
Major League Debut    1989
Masterpieces 2007, 2008
Opening Day 1998, 2010
Pacific 1992, 1993
Pinnacle 1992, 1993
Score (including traded)  1988 – 1998 (complete run)
Select 1993
SP Legendary Cuts 2001
Stadium Club 1991, 1992
Studio 1991
Swell 1989
Ted Williams 1993
Topps Kids 1992
Topps Micro 1991-1993 (complete run)
Topps Stickers 1981
Triple Play 1992
Turkey Red 2005
Ultra 1991, 1992
Upper Deck 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2008
Upper Deck X 2008
Victory 1999

The total for all my complete sets is 92,191.

Tomorrow I will list my Cubs cards.


  1. That's an awesome collection you have!

    But opening packs has this fun side to it you cannot get from buying complete sets or singles ;)

  2. ...and that's the one regret I have about the way I collect. I usually buy a pack or two of series one when it comes out, just to be able to rip open something.

  3. wow! That is truly amazing! I can only dream that my collection will look like that someday! Everything is so neat, kempt and uniform. It shows that you take great pride and care of your collection.

    As Ive been venturing into set building lately I can truly admire and appreciate your work in the hobby. Its indeed an inspiration!

  4. Totally awesome, man! I'd pay admission to browse through all your binder sets!

  5. I dream of being that organized one day...

    thanks for sharing your collection, looks great!!

  6. I'm going to be like you when I grow up.

  7. It's only January, but I think we just found our most inspirational/motivational card collecting piece for 2013.

    The organization if quite impressive and I'm sure it garners the envy of many in the blogosphere!

  8. Uber-organized, just as I suspected. There is no tway that anyone can collect how you collect and not have a colllection that looks like this.

    Congrats on the maintenance; I know it is not easy!!

  9. I enjoyed taking a trip through your collection, thanks! I like your binder end cards. I usually just take one of my business cards and write year, sport and set on the back, then stick it in the slot. But I think I'll try something colorful like yours