Sunday, September 21, 2014

Five Random Cubs Cards

I've got 12,710 Cubs cards from 96 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades.



1900s-1970s: 1953 Bowman #48 Hank Sauer  The Bowman '53s were a very plain looking card, but I like that they used actual photographs instead of the painting-type pictures used by Topps.  This card has a pose of the Cubs slugger at the Polo Grounds.



1980s: 1982 Topps Traded #92 Mike Proly  Remember how I just said that I didn't like the painting-type pictures that Topps used in the early '50s?  I dislike the airbrush jobs even more!  Topps came up with a pretty ugly card for Proly.  I know that the set is the traded set, but would it have been that hard to get a photographer to snap a picture of Proly when he passed through New York...or how about getting a Chicago photographer to snap the picture.  Proly was one of many ex-Phillies on the Dallas Green Cubs.  He came after the Phillies released him at the end of spring training.  He went to AAA for a couple months before the Cubs brought him up.  He made 43 appearances and had a career-best ERA of 2.30.


1990s: 1999 All Century Team #8 Andre Dawson  This card comes from a 21-card set that the Cubs gave away over three dates during the 1999 season.  Dawson was one of five outfielders to make the Cubs All Century team.  While writing this up, I noticed that I've never done a post with the entire set.  I'll have to do something about that this week.


2000s: 2006 Upper Deck Update #1035 Carlos Marmol  This is Marmol's first card as a big leaguer.  Topps didn't get him a card until the next season.  Marmol made his MLB debut on June 4, 2006, making the jump from AA.  He was used mainly as a starter and went 5-7 with an ERA of 6.08.  He would never start another game during the rest of his career....500 more appearances.


2010s: 2011 Topps Walmart #628 Blake DeWitt This card comes from the year when I was collecting all the different parallels of all the Cubs.  I don't miss do that at all.  I don't miss Blake DeWitt, either.  But I am grateful that he had a lousy spring in 2011, which opened the door for Darwin Barney to become the second baseman.

No comments:

Post a Comment