Wednesday, October 26, 2016

All I've Got of Him: Phil Cavarretta

He played first base for the Cubs in the World Series.

He wore #44

He was very good.

He isn't Anthony Rizzo.

Long before Rizzo wore #44 at first, Phil Cavarretta did.  In fact, after he left the Cubs in the mid-Fifties, the number was unofficially retired until Burt Hooton wore it in 1971.

A local boy made good, the north side native spent 20 years with the Cubs (and another two with the Sox).  He was a three-time All Star and was the NL MVP in 1945.

His career ended long before I started collecting, but I've ended up with a decent number of his cards.  Several are from his playing days, most with Bowman, and a couple Topps.  I've also got reprints from a few oddball brands.  And there are a few from modern sets.  All together I've got sixteen Cavarretta cards.


1 comment:

  1. The reversed negative on the one card is sure jarring, but that big Bowman color picture is great.

    ReplyDelete