Saturday, March 30, 2019

1961 Golden Press Cubs

Today I've got an oddball card that is as old as I am, from the 1961 Golden Press set.

I was unaware of this set until I saw a post on White Sox Cards (and it's nice to see Steve actively posting again!).  He showed the White Sox card from the set.  I found the checklist and saw that there was a Cub in it.  For a couple bucks, the 58-year-old card was mine.


The Golden Press set came in this book, which retailed for 29¢.  The cards were on punch-out pages inside the book.  Aren't those cards nice looking?  I really like the way they colorized them.

And the one Cub?


Catcher Gabby Hartnett.  Again, I love the colorized card.  And look at Wrigley Field in the background!  The bleachers have to be fairly new.  We also get a look at the house with the dormer at the corner of Kenmore and Waveland.

It's nice to see that some things from 1961 have held up over the years.... not sure that I can say the same about me!

4 comments:

  1. A couple bucks for that beauty? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. With this stellar photography, I'm off to find at least one for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I’m in search of one of the books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick up. I have heard about the set but don't have any cards from it. There are many HOFers in that set.

    ReplyDelete