Friday, March 29, 2019

1988 Fantastic Sams Cubs

I  haven't been to a barber in over 36 years.  Yes, you read that correctly, 36 years.

Yes, I do have hair - I'm not bald.  And no, my hair is not floor length.

So what gives?

Easy -- I sleep with my barber.  

Mrs. WW has been cutting my hair since the time we got engaged.  I was too poor in college to bother with a barber and she had cut a little hair, so in an act of total trust, I let her cut my hair.  She's did a great job, and she's been doing it ever since. I haven't changed my hair style since then, and it hasn't fallen out.  Win Win Win!


I've never darkened the door of the unisex hair-care chain Fantastic Sams.  But maybe I would have in 1988 if I knew that they were giving out baseball cards and prizes, too.  

They had a twenty-card set that was given away in a contest called Superstar Sweepstakes.  You got the card and a chance at other loot.


The grand prize was four tickets to a 1988 championship game.  The set does not have an MLB license, so I wonder if that is why they didn't say "World Series"?   Did the winner get to see Kirk Gibson's famous walk-off homer in game 1 of the '88 Series?

The set included 20 discs and one of those belonged to a Cub...




... Andre Dawson.  They did a pretty tight crop job which reduces the need to remove much of the logo.  I've got both a individual disc and a full disc with the prize card.

Andre's hair is looking a little shabby in the back.  Can Sam take care of that??


5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I had a Fantastic Sam's in my area back in the day, but if I knew they were handing out cards, I would have driven to surrounding cities just to get my hair cut and a card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another oddball card I have never seen or heard of before. Pretty cool.
    I wonder if Sport Clips would ever do something like this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom cut my hair when I lived at home. When I ventured out into the college world I had to find someone else to cut my hair. Where did I go?

    Fantastic Sams!

    I liked it there. I actually wish I had one to go to again. Funny thing, 1988 would've been right around the time I was getting my hair cut there, but I didn't know anything about those cards then.

    ReplyDelete