Tuesday, March 10, 2020

How Did I Miss A Card from Just Two Years Ago?

I discovered nearly two dozen holes in my Cubs collection when I was entering it onto the Trading Card Database.  Most were from older sets but one was from just two years ago.  I have no idea how I missed something so recent.


This card looks like it is from the 2018 Topps set.


But this is the 2018 Topps card for Javier Baez.

It is a photo variation... nope.

From the factory team set.... nope to that too.

The card actually comes from the cards given away by New Era Hat.  The 2018 season was the third year for the partnership between New Era and Topps.  I have the Cubs from 2016 and 2017.  In fact, I got them during the respective summers the cards came out.  That means I was aware of New Era cards, but somehow missed the 2018 release.

I found the card on Ebay and have filled in another hole.

...and have another to fill.

As I was doing some research for the post, I found out that there were also New Era cards for some retired players that featured the 1983 design.  Only one Cub players is on the checklist, Ryne Sandberg.  Going to fill that hole as soon as I finish typing this up!

2 comments:

  1. Dang. As a team collector it's so hard to keep up anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember these. Don't think I added any A's or Padres to my collection... and probably never will. But at least this post reminded me to keep an eye out (for the next 24 hours or so).

    ReplyDelete