Friday, August 12, 2011

Santo Flipped

Please indulge me, I'm on a slight Ron Santo kick right now!

Over the years Topps has inadvertently flipped negatives on cards, resulting in some backwards pictures. My favorite was with Larry Haney in 1968 and 1969. I liked this because I am left-handed and the '69 card showed an actual left-handed catcher. Well, he wasn't left-handed, but I was only seven and didn't really know what was going on.



But Topps has some company in the photo-flipping game. Below is the WGN Radio Cubs schedule from 2010. We see a smiling Pat Hughes and his partner, Ron Santo.



For the 2011 schedule, WGN Radio decided to pay tribute to the recently-departed Santo. Here is what they came up with.



Look carefully at the picture of Santo and at the 2010 schedule. See any similarities? Same brown shirt, same smile. But Pat Hughes is missing, the background is different, and he's facing the opposite direction.

Now look....



....at the 2011 schedule flipped around and let's look at the 2010 and flipped side by side.



I guess, despite the fact that he was with WGN for 21 seasons, the station didn't have another picture of Santo to use. Instead, a little Photoshop cropping, change the background, flip the picture, and you're all set for 2011.

Topps flips were unintentional mistakes. What is WGN's excuse?

1 comment:

  1. "Curses! Foiled again!

    And I would have gotten away for it if it weren't for you meddling kids..."

    ReplyDelete