Sunday, September 20, 2015

Five Not Random Cubs Cards

I'm starting to get really excited about what this team could do over the next several weeks.  I'm not letting the RNG pick the cards.  I picked these based on what's happened in the first two games with the Cardinals this weekend


1961 Topps #141 Billy Williams  In 1961 Billy set the team record for both homers and RBIs by a rookie.  The RBI record is gone, the HR record was tied yesterday.  I know Billy is excited by this team and doesn't mind seeing the records gone.


2015 Topps #616 Kris Bryant  Your new rookie season HR and RBI leader.  He hit a bomb yesterday that made it to the back row of the bleachers.  





2015 Topps Chrome #24 Addison Russell  Just when it looked like the bullpen might give away another game, Russell made a spectacular game-ending play.  He's so smooth with the glove, hit bat is coming around, and he's just 21 years old.


2015 Stadium Club #92 Jorge Soler Just before Bryant hit his bomb to the bleachers, Soler smoked a laser beam into the left field seats.  Having him healthy and hitting will really add to the Cubs chances.


2015 Gypsy Queen #33 Starlin Castro I had given up on him a couple months ago.  Joe Maddon did not.  Joe Maddon is smarter than I am.  Since losing his shortstop job, Castro sat on the bench for a few games and then has turned himself into a fairly decent second baseman.  His bat has returned too.  He mashed two homers against the Cards on Friday and had two more hits yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry. Joe Maddon is also smarter than me.
    I haven't seen that Soler card before. I think it would look great with an IP autograph. I'll have to track one down before the Cubs Convention.
    Lastly, I didn't see the game live on TV yesterday, but once I saw the highlights on the internet I couldn't stop watching the Russell play to end/save the game. If I were the official scorer for that game I would have given the save to Russell, not Strop.

    ReplyDelete