Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Looking For Two

In 2009 Topps and Walmart combined for the black variation cards.  I picked up a series one Cubs set as soon as they were released.

When series two came out, the Walmart cards were harder to find and more expensive.  I decided to pass.  I never even considered them when Update came out.

That decision left me with ten Cubs Walmart cards in a year when there were, from Series One, Two and Update, 29 Cubs base cards.

Having 29 base cards but only ten black cards....I just couldn't stand the unevenness.  Six years later I decided to do something about it.

Scouring my usual haunts over the past several months has turned up seventeen of the missing nineteen Walmart black cards.



These are the regular cards of the two I'm still missing, Lou Piniella and Mike Fontenot.

Anyone collect the Walmart black cards back in 2009?

Anyone got an extra Piniella or Fontenot they'd like to get rid of?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a black variation from 2009. If you get the chance I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of one! (I guess I could go look on Ebay, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a post I did in 2009 on the series one Walmart cards:

    ReplyDelete