Friday, February 1, 2019

Dugout Fun


This picture was on the Cubs Facebook page yesterday.  What a great shot of two Cub icons!  As soon as I saw it I knew I had to make it into a baseball card.

It didn't take long to figure out what kind of card, either.  Two stars from the 1969 team would get a new 1969 card.


Topps put out these four combo cards in the 6th Series.  We've got Orioles, A's, Senators, and Giants but no Cubs.... for now.  First, though, a little detour.

Topps had combo cards in every set of the 1960s except for 1965.  Over those nine years, a Cubs combo card was made just once...


... in 1961.  I know the Cubs of the sixties were not very good.  However, they did have two players win Rookie of the Year, several All Stars, and Ernie Banks.  You would have thought that they could have had at least one or two more combos.  But, no.  

OK -- getting back on track....

The 1969 combo cards all used the same basic design, yellow bands top and bottom, title in red, player names in black.  It would be pretty easy to copy.

So this is what I came up with for the two happy Cubs.



5 comments:

  1. Awesome job on your custom! 1969 sure had some awesome combo cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame that card wasn't made 50 years ago... OY 1969 was 50 YEARS ago? I am getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool custom. Is there a program you use to make it? Do you actually print them or just make digitally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a really old home version of Photoshop called PhotoDeluxe Home Edition. My cards are just digital, I've never printed them up.

      Delete