Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Forever, Fixed

Today I've got the Forever subset from Fleer's 2004 Greats of the Game.

There were six Cubs included.



Here is Ryne Sandberg. Notice that the Cubs logo in the center of the card matches with the logo that the Cubs used when Ryno played. Good deal.



Now take a look at Ernie Banks' card. Fleer put an older logo on the card, but it's not the logo that was on the uniform pictured on the card. I hate it when a design is inconsistent! So you know what I had to do....fix it!



Here is the logo that they should have used. In fact, on five of the six cards Fleer used what I would consider to be the wrong logo. So here are the rest of the originals and my fixes.



Why did they use the modern logo on Santo's card and a retro logo (although the wrong one) on Ernie's.



Here is what should have been on Santo's.





Billy Williams got the same treatment and fix as Ron Santo.

And they really blew it with these guys from the '30's.





Gabby Hartnett, original and fixed





Hack Wilson, fixed too.

I'd really like to offer my services to a card company. I'll be their official Cubs proofreader. Let me look at any Cubs card. I'll let you know what looks good and what is wrong. Heck, I'll even do it for free...or I guess they could throw some cards my way!

Actually, though, I think it would be wise on Topps' part to hire several of us bloggers to double check their cards. Were going to do it anyway, so they might as well let us keep their mistakes between them and us instead of between them, us, and the blogosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment