Friday, April 1, 2011

Opening Day 2011!

Very strange things have happened to me on April 1 the past two years. But this year I'm not going out shopping because it is Opening Day!

Let the season begin. This is the year!!!!!!

Usually, the best thing about opening day is that the Cubs are in first place. But with the goofy staggered opening day this year, I don't even get that. But at least today the Cubs aren't in last place.

To celebrate opening day, I've got the Cubs all time opening day lineup. The lineup features a majority of the players from the '60's and later. That seems odd to me, considering the long history of the Cubs. In fact, of the entire lineup, I have seen all but three (Hartnett, Grimm and Pafko) of them play (and I'm not that old).

The cards I'm showing were picked because they are from lesser known sets and this may be your first peek at them



Pitcher: Fergie Jenkins, 7 Opening Day starts. Carlos Zambrano would have tied the mark this year, but Mike Quade gave the start to Ryan Dempster, a good move in my opinion. Upper Deck Decades



Catcher: Gabby Hartnett, 12 starts This card is from the Conlon Collection, #675



This card of Mark Grace is from Topps Big, 1989



This Charlie Grimm card is a
Goudy 1933 (reprint)
First Base (since 1900): Charlie Grimm and Mark Grace, 12 starts



Second Base: Ryne Sandberg, 13 starts Topps Gallery 2002



Shortstop: Shawon Dunston, 11 starts Donruss Best of the NL, 1990



Third Base: Ron Santo, 13 starts. It's a bit odd to hear the Cubs on the radio without Ron Santo. While his over-the-top enthusiasm will be missed, I must admit that its nice to hear the coherent analysis that Keith Moreland is providing. TCMA Stars of the 60's



Left Field: Billy Williams, 10 starts Fleer Greats of the Game, 2004



Center Field (since 1900): Andy Pafko, 7 starts Tip Top, 1947 (reprint)



Right Field: Sammy Sosa, 12 starts From Fleer's Update set, 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment