Thursday, October 23, 2014

2014 Topps Update Cubs

One week and one day ago Brentandbecca took delivery on 60 cases of Topps Update.  Yesterday my 330 card set and Cubs team set arrived.  It's amazing to me that he can bust so much so quickly.  And then he sorts the cards.  I can't imagine the number of hours he must put in to get the cards shipped so quickly.  Again, amazing.

The Cubs netted 10 spots in the set, which is just about where it should be.  The past few years, the Cubs haven't been cheated in the Update set.

That's not a good thing....it means lots of changes.  Hopefully next year will see fewer Cubs in Update...

 

...unless they land a bunch of players on the All Star team.   The Cubs had 2½ All Stars this year: Rizzo, Castro, and Samardzija-the half since he was traded just before the break but earned a spot on the NL team.  Spellcheck made the All Star team but not the Update set as an All Star.

Here are the rest of the Update Cubs, in alphabetical order:

 

 




My guess is that the checklist was finalized by the end of July, since Javier Baez and Jorge Soler were left out.  The notable omission for me is starter Kyle Hendricks.  He made only three starts in July, which wasn't enough for Topps to think him worthy of the checklist.  He finished the season 7-2 with an ERA of 2.46.  I wonder if that's good enough to make the 2015 set.

Tomorrow I'll have all the Cubs insert cards. 

1 comment:

  1. From my understanding, if a player debuts between the start of the season and July 1 his rookie goes in Update. If he debuts in July or August he goes in Series 1 next year and if he is a September call up then he is in Series 2 next year. I'm not 100% positive, but I am around 95% sure.

    ReplyDelete