Friday, May 31, 2024

The One that Got Away

 I almost got a third item from my Most Wanted list, but it got away from me.

The same seller that had the two discs I showed yesterday also had the Sandberg Subway.  He listed it on eBay and was going to sell it to me via Best Offer.  Unfortunately for me, between the time he reached out and when I found the listing, a bid had been made.  Once a bid is made an item can no longer be sold via Best Offer.  The only way I could get the disc now was to win the auction.

I set my snipper at a price that I thought to be pretty high.  But when it comes to my Most Wanted items, I'm willing to pay a bit more than usual.  Well, I wasn't even close.

That final sale price was nearly four times what I had the snipper set at.  I was stunned at what it went for.  I emailed the seller to get his reaction and he was just as shocked (though also pleased with his windfall).  We both figured that there was a big Sandberg collector that needed the disc for a PSA collection.  Those PSA guys have much deeper pockets than I do.

So now I'm back to waiting again for one of these to pop up.

4 comments:

  1. I have over a thousand unique Sandberg cards in my collection, but I am definitely not a PSA guy and my pockets do not run deep. I'm astounded at that selling price. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying for this - I thought maybe you had grabbed it for this price :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That price is crazy. On a positive note... at least there's one less Sandberg collector to compete with in the future (unless that collector is trying to corner the market).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sold a creased Sandberg for $40. It doesn't surprise me that this went for over $200. I was once offered $300 for the copy in my collection. They don't show up often, and Sandberg collectors can get crazy.

    ReplyDelete