Friday, January 2, 2009

Floating Heads, Part II

Before I get started, I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who responded to my emails. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated. Thanks also to anyone that added me to your blog roll. I hope I can make this worth your while.

Enough of the sappy stuff....its on to today's post!

I've got some follow-up to yesterday's post on the Cubs floating heads team cards.

The Red Sox also had some limited floating head action on a few of their team cards. Were these guys who overslept on team picture day? Maybe there were players that were acquired by the team after the picture was taken?





The 1974 floating head looks like Yaz. Why would they take a team picture on a day when the team's superstar was missing?

And there was one other team that was featured completely as floating heads, the 1975 White Sox. It must be a Chicago thing! Ironically, 1975 was one of only three years between 1970 and 1981 that featured a traditional Cubs team card.






Finally, I noticed something on the 1971 Cubs floating head that I have not seen on any other type of Topps card from any other year, ever. This card has nothing on the front except for the photo. There are no words printed, no logo, no nothing; just the photo. All of the other team cards from '71 had the team name on the top. But not the Cubs card. Topps probably left the team name off since it is printed in the middle of the photo. However, the '72 card says Cubs at the top and it uses the same style team photo as '71. Weird.

Does anyone know of any other Topps card from any year that features just a photo and no other printing of any kind?

1971 Cubs team card, no other printing


1971 White Sox card with the team name on the top


1972 Cubs team card, with name on top

3 comments:

  1. I've got a couple of the Cub's cards like these from the 70's. I'm trying to get all of the ones that feature Billy Williams...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say I loved your banner.

    Otherwise I got nothing else to offer on the Cubs cards. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2001 Upper Deck Vintage revived the floating heads concept of team cards. I didn't realize it had been done before.

    ReplyDelete