Thursday, January 15, 2009

Super Cool, Awesome 3-D

When I came back to collecting it seemed like I had to learn a new language. Words and terms like refractors, parallels, relic cards, foil, 1/1...these were not a part of my lingo. I've been gradually learning them.

I don't have any refractor cards, but they seem interesting to me. But then again, I guess I do have some shiny cards, the Super Cool, Awesome 3-D cards put out by Kelloggs from 1970 - 1983. I remember as a kid bugging my mom to get the cereal with the baseball card inside. And these weren't the boring Topps cards with bad airbrushing, these were 3-D!

Of course, what were the odds of getting one of the five Cubs out of 75 cards in the 1970 set from a box of cereal: well, they were not very good at all. And then you have to finish the whole box before you'd get another chance to be disappointed. But eat the cereal we did, Sugar Frosted Flakes, Sugar Pops. Sugar Smacks, all tasty, all Kelloggs, and all renamed now with a certain taboo word removed from their names.

Now that I am all grown up and eating blah-tasting adult cereals like Special K, I've got the cash to buy the cards. I am the proud owner of all 36 Cubs cards put out by Kelloggs over their 3-D card run.

Let me show you the five Cubs from the 1970 set. Two of the five are in the Hall of Fame and one is borderline. All five cards feature the players in their home uniform, something that I didn't see much of with Topps in the early 70's. But one thing that I absolutely do NOT like is that they used Shea Stadium as the background to help get the 3-D effect. The 1969 Cubs against a Shea backdrop brings back some very bad memories.

Here are your 3-D Cubs from the 1970 Kelloggs set:

Ernie Banks - Mr. Cub



Glenn Beckert - Cubs second baseman, 4 time All Star



Randy Hundley - Cubs Catcher, All Star in 1969



Ron Santo - 3rd baseman, 9 time All Star, Hall of Famer???



Billy Williams - left fielder, Hall of Famer, my all-time favorite Cub



I think these are G-R-R-R-REAT looking cards, but I'm not going to say much more about them now. I'm off to the kitchen because I've suddenly got a craving for a sugary bowl of cereal.

3 comments:

  1. The 3-D cards were way cool. I'm going to have to track down all the Dodgers some day.

    Me and my brothers would order away for the cards, and then we'd split them up among each other. I've still got them. They're from the late '70s though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great looking set of a great team from a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way after starting collecting in th early 80's s a kid and stopping now I'm a confused kid again with all this stuff found a Rickey Henderson mini 3-d card from my youth Way cool. got another longoria refractor RC and just did'nt get that excited as some would

    ReplyDelete