Thursday, August 30, 2018

Fan Favorite Autograph Don Kessinger

Topps really went outside their normal stock of retired Cubs in the 2018 Fan Favorites Autograph insert set.  No Banks, Sandberg, Dawson, Jenkins, or Williams.

Not even a Hall of Famer.

They went with a less-acclaimed '69 Cub, shortstop Don Kessinger.


And doesn't he have a nice looking signature -- you can read it!

My only quibble with the card is that while the design is from 1971, the picture is from, at the latest, 1967.  Then again, it wasn't unusual for Topps to use 3-4 year old pictures on cards back then, so that must be what they were going for.

4 comments:

  1. I love this insert set. I have a couple of these Fan Favorites from over the years but need to go back and figure out which ones I still need because I would keep an eye out while prices dropped but then forget. If you have them all, could you tile them up please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Kessinger. Looking forward to adding a copy to my collection. I'm not too surprised that Topps didn't use a hall of famer in their Fan Favorites autograph set. I've been collecting them for a few years now and most of the names on their checklists are reserved for those "hall of very good" types of players who were super popular with fans, but not quite Cooperstown worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing Don but he's been in a prior set. How about Glenn Beckert?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad they stepped away from the Hall of Fame crowd for this one.

    ReplyDelete