Friday, January 18, 2019

1995 Cardtoon Cubs


Today's cards are from a brand that was around for just one year, but they had an interesting story.

The brand name is "Cardtoons."  The concept was borrowed from Topps' Wacky Packages. Instead of paroding packages, Cardtoon parodies baseball players.  Like Wacky Packages, they used cartoons.  They also used parody names for the players in the same way that products were parodied on Wacky Packages.

Have I used the word "parody" enough yet?  It is, however, an important word for Cardtoons.  The cards have a copyright  on them of 1993, but they weren't released until 1995.  And the reason for the delay?

Litigation.

Cardtoons did not have a license from MLB or the Players Association.  When the Players Association got wind of the product, they issued cease and desist orders to Cardtoon and Cardtoon's printer.

The matter went to court.  Cardtoons position is that parody is protected by the First Amendment.  Parody requires no license or permission.  They prevailed in both district court and on appeal.  Yea Constitution!


The card back has this disclaimer.

The set consists of 95 cards and five of them are Cubs.


Well, not quite Cubs.  These are "Scrubs."


Ernie Banks is "Mr. Club"


Harry Caray became "Harry Scaray" though he doesn't look very scary.


Shawon Dunston and his rocket arm becomes "Shawon Tungsten."


Mark Grace is "Amazing Grace" and the card back has a complete parody of Amazing Grace.


Ryne Sandberg turns into "Ryne Sandbox."

It's an interesting little product.  I may try to track down a complete set.  I'm curious what they called some of the other teams.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know they went to court. Interesting.
    I picked up most of a set through a collection I was a gifted and tracked down the rest. There's actually a portion of the checklist where it gets a little political if I remember right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a small few of these 3 or 4 of fave players that I picked up from Sportlots stores. I think I also picked up the checklist. I need to get the rest and complete the set sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these cards! Always wondered if these caused any issues with MLB or other card companies.

    ReplyDelete