Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Jimmy Deans Cubs

Jimmy Dean Sausage put out sets of cards for four years in the early 1990s.  Buy some sausage, get some cards.  I was never much of a fan of the sausage, but I do have a story.  And it will make anyone who loves a good Chicago thin crust cheese and sausage pizza cringe.

Mrs. WW is a Michigan native.  She grew up in a small farming community and had very limited exposure to pizza.  Little Caesars was it.

We met at college in suburban Chicago.  We had good Chicago pizza on a few of our dates.  After we got married, she wanted to make some homemade pizza for supper.  She knew I liked sausage pizza, and that is what she made.  But...

To her, sausage was sausage.  So she used some Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage for the pizza.  Being the good newlywed husband that I was, I smiled my way through the pizza.  Then I lovingly explained the difference between Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage and Italian sausage for a pizza.  We shared a good laugh and never had Jimmy Dean again!

The baseball cards were released from 1991-1993 and again in 1995.




Ryno was the only Cub in the first three sets.  The sets ranged from 18 to 28 cards, but they never had more than one Cub.  There were also a couple of smaller rookie sets put out, but they were completely Cub-free.  The farm was pretty bare during that time.

After taking 1994 off, Jimmy Dean returned to baseball with a small six-card set called All-Time Greats.  One of the six was a Cub...


.... my favorite player Billy Williams!  I've had this card in the player collection for a while.  A second copy is now in the Jimmy Dean page.

4 comments:

  1. I've had the Rynos since they came out, but I don't think I've ever seen the Billy. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast sausage pizza. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the Jimmy Dean would taste good on a breakfast pizza!

    ReplyDelete