Thursday, June 9, 2022

My Last Day With the Kids

 I've mentioned a couple of times that I am retiring at the end of the school year.  Yesterday was my last day with kids in the building, as the school year came to an end.  It was a bittersweet day.  I am very much looking forward to giving up the responsibilities that come with being a principal.  Yet I will miss being around and working with the kids.

A couple of retirement parties were held for me a few weeks back.  There was an ice cream social open house on Saturday and that was mainly for the kids and school families.  The church held a dinner for me after the Sunday service too.

Both events were very much Cub-themed and that was greatly appreciated.  The dinner menu was hamburgers and hot dog (Chicago style!), and Cubs cookies.  The room was decorated with Cubs pennants and flags.









Each classroom made a poster for me and you can see lots of Cubs things on them.

This framed Cubs jersey was a special gift.  The number 39 is for the 39 years I spent as a Lutheran educator.  It is not because I was a big fan of Mike Krukow, Laddie Renfroe, Andrew Chafin, or any of the other mostly mediocre players that have worn the number.

I got this pen from one of the teachers.  It is made wood recovered from a seat at Wrigley Field.

This vintage pennant was giving to me by the family of one of my students.

Mrs. WW and I are ready for whatever the next chapter in life will be.

8 comments:

  1. May your retirement be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome! Congrats and happy retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your retirement and enjoy the many adventures ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, Paul.
    Congratulations on your retirement. (I am just 2 months behind you.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your retirement, and great job by the various classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Hope life only gets better for you from here. Thanks for taking care of the children.

    ReplyDelete