Friday, September 9, 2022

Not In School, so I Went To….

I started preschool in September, 1965.

I started high school in September, 1975.

I started college in September, 1979.

I started teaching in September, 1983.

This is the first September since 1964 that  I haven’t been in school.  It seems a little strange.

But I’m getting over it. Because look where the retired  principal got to be on a Thursday afternoon in September.

I’m in the Wrigley Field bleachers!  The tickets with a face value of $32 cost me just $9 on Stubhub since the Cubs are so lousy this year. 

We did our free parking trick... bring bikes, park on the street near Lincoln Park, ride bikes to Wrigley and take advantage of the Cubs free guarded bike lot.

After lunch at Yak-Zies on Clark Street we headed to the bleachers  We got in an hour before game time and it was pretty empty, especially in right field.  We headed down and sat in the front row.  A little of the outfield view is blocked by the top of the wall, but we'd stand up if there was any action along the wall, so it was great to be in the front.  A bonus was the shade provided by the wall.  It was a warm and sunny day and we had some much-needed shade on our legs, compliments of the wall.

The Cubs mascot Clark came to the outfield before the game and was hitting rubber balls into the bleachers.

Mrs. WW got one!

Here's a look at the Topps logo on the side wall in right field.

Sitting in the front row of the pretty empty bleachers meant we could find ourselves on TV!  This is a screen grab from the 6th inning when the Red's centerfielder lost a flyball in the sun.  Mrs. WW is on the left in the circled section, I'm on the right.

It was a great day...until the ninth inning when the Cubs bullpen turned a one run lead into a one run loss.  Cheap tickets, free parking, great seats, souvenir from Clark, sunshine, on TV... I think we still came out ahead despite the loss.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I'm hoping to follow your lead in 10 to 12 years. Congratulations to Mrs. WW on catching one of those rubber balls. Maybe Clark can sign it for her at a future game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely came out ahead! Loving that you're enjoying the first year of retirement with a bunch of baseball games!

    ReplyDelete