Friday, October 30, 2009

1910 - 1911 T3 Turkey Red

I picked this reprint set up a while ago for just a couple bucks. The originals in EX condition run from $600 to $1,500 each depending on the player. I'll have to stick with the reprints!

These cards were the inspiration for the first Topps Turkey Red release in 2005. Topps did a pretty decent job of remaining faithful to the originals.

Compare these two, #1 Mordecai Brown from the original set and Greg Maddux from 2005.

There were a total of ten Cubs in the 1910-11 set, including four future Hall of Famer: Brown, Tinkers, Evers, and Chance. This was at the tail end of the Cubs dynasty, when they won four pennants and two World Series from 1906 - 1910. Yes, the Cubs were a dynasty, and yes, we're still waiting for their next one!

Anyway, here are the other nine players:

#16 Johnny Evers

#32 Orval Overall

#33 Jack Pfeister

#35 Joe TInker

#47 Frank Chance

#98 Solly Hofman

#102 Johnny Kling

#109 Pat Moran

#117 Frank Schulte


  1. I'm glad some of these sets were reprinted. It's the only way a lot of collectors will ever be able to see these cards.

  2. I LOVE the originals. Absolutely amazing cards.

  3. When were the T3 Turkey Red's first reprinted? I have a number of smaller size T3 cards passed down from my grandfather, all in excellent condition, but I haven't been able to determine if they are some kind of original or if they are an from an early reprint set of some kind. Any help would be appreciated!!!

  4. i have had the #1 mordecai brown card since 1989. i was 7 at the time i talked my friend into giving it to me. slight crease and sharp corners. might sell it