Friday, October 30, 2009

1910 - 1911 T3 Turkey Red

I picked this reprint set up a while ago for just a couple bucks. The originals in EX condition run from $600 to $1,500 each depending on the player. I'll have to stick with the reprints!

These cards were the inspiration for the first Topps Turkey Red release in 2005. Topps did a pretty decent job of remaining faithful to the originals.

Compare these two, #1 Mordecai Brown from the original set and Greg Maddux from 2005.






There were a total of ten Cubs in the 1910-11 set, including four future Hall of Famer: Brown, Tinkers, Evers, and Chance. This was at the tail end of the Cubs dynasty, when they won four pennants and two World Series from 1906 - 1910. Yes, the Cubs were a dynasty, and yes, we're still waiting for their next one!

Anyway, here are the other nine players:



#16 Johnny Evers



#32 Orval Overall



#33 Jack Pfeister



#35 Joe TInker



#47 Frank Chance



#98 Solly Hofman



#102 Johnny Kling



#109 Pat Moran



#117 Frank Schulte

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad some of these sets were reprinted. It's the only way a lot of collectors will ever be able to see these cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the originals. Absolutely amazing cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When were the T3 Turkey Red's first reprinted? I have a number of smaller size T3 cards passed down from my grandfather, all in excellent condition, but I haven't been able to determine if they are some kind of original or if they are an from an early reprint set of some kind. Any help would be appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have had the #1 mordecai brown card since 1989. i was 7 at the time i talked my friend into giving it to me. slight crease and sharp corners. might sell it mike_perez_59@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete