Monday, October 19, 2009

Name The Game

I know some of you have had fun trying to figure when a card's picture was taken. Going through the 2009 Topps set this weekend, I happened upon these two and knew immediately which game they were from. And I knew the game because I was at the game!



Topps 2009 #45 Aubrey Huff



Topps 2009 #189 Jay Payton

Clue #1: It's pretty obvious both cards were shot at Wrigley Field. The brick wall and the ivy are dead give aways.

Clue #2: The Orioles haven't played at Wrigley Field very often, so that would help narrow the game down. If fact, I believe the only time the Orioles have been at Wrigley was June 24 - 26, 2008.

Clue #3: Both cards were taken at a day game. It very obvious on Huff's card, and while Payton's isn't quite as obvious, he is wearing sun glasses.

Clue #4: Of the three games in June at Wrigley, only the June 26 game was a day game. So these have to be from June 26, 2008. And I was at that game. This was the only game I saw at Wrigley last year. I had upper deck box seats down the third base line. And as it seems to happen quite often for me, the Cubs lost the game. Actually, "lost" is being kind. They were destroyed by the Orioles, 11-4. Here is the box score. Jason Marquis got lit up for seven runs in four innings and the rout was on.

Both of these guys killed the Cubs that day. Huff was 4-5 and Payton was 2-5 with 3 RBIs.

Thanks for reminding me of the massacre, Topps.

No comments:

Post a Comment