Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Grading My 2018 Collecting Goals


On January 1 for the past several years I've gone back and graded myself on my collection goals from the previous year.  So how did I do in 2018?



GOAL #1: Add my usual Cubs team sets as they are released: Topps flagship, Heritage, Opening Day, Factory Team set, Bowman, Allen and Ginter, Chrome, Gypsy Queen, Archives, Update and whatever else comes along.
Grade - A:  this was easy, especially with super breaker Brentandbecca taking care of me.

GOAL #2: Add the complete sets of the flagship, update, and Allen and Ginter. I've got a flagship run starting with 1969 and the complete run of Traded / Update and Allen and Ginter. I see no reason to stop.
Grade - A:  another one made easier by Brentandbecca

GOAL #3: Add any autograph and relic cards for Cubs players that haven't previously had one. I'm done with players from previous seasons, so now its just a matter of adding new guys as cards are issued.
Grade - A:  If a player has a card that follows my rule, I add him.  There were three autographs (Maples, Bote, and Caratini) and two relics (Darvish and Caratini) added in 2018.

GOAL #4: Continue adding to the player collections of Darwin Barney, Ernie Banks, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, and Billy Williams.
Grade - B:   I did add a few more missing Barney cards and some new Billy Williams and Ernie Banks cards. 

GOAL #5: Add odd-ball sets and sets of smaller brands that I missed earlier.
Grade - A: This one has been fun as I've added several smaller sets to the collection.  This is becoming a larger focus for me as I have most of the biggies already completed

GOAL #6: This is a new one --- get certified autographs of all the Cubs that played in the 2016 World Series.
Grade - A: I got this wrapped up pretty early in 2018.

GOAL #7: Write something about the collection every day.
Grade - A-:  I had only 358 posts this year, my lowest total ever.  I took a week off from the blog while Mrs. WW and I were on vacation.  I don't regret that decision at all and may take a week off in 2019, too.

GOAL #8: Enjoy working on goals 1-7. I'm in trouble when I can't meet this goal.
Grade - A:  If I wasn't enjoying it, there wouldn't be 358 posts!

4 comments:

  1. Happy 2019 and congrats on a successful card collecting 2018. I'm looking forward to another 358 posts! (FWIW, I could survive if there's only 351!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a successful 2018, and here's too another one in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job reaching your goals in 2018! I may have to steal your idea of collecting world champion certified autos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 358 posts is amazing! Congratulations on making the hobby goal honor roll! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete