Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Gypsy Queen 2012 Cubs

Have you heard that 2012 Gypsy Queen is out?


I thought so.


While the rest of you were posting the results of your box and pack rips, I was just sitting here waiting for the mailman to do this thing.  He did it yesterday.


Today I've got all seven of the Cubs base cards plus one insert.  There are two more inserts I'm waiting on; I'll save them for another day.  First, a few thoughts on Gypsy Queen.


Last year I wasn't too excited about it, but it eventually grew on me; so much so that I ended up buying a complete set.  While I wasn't anxiously counting the days for its release, I was looking forward to it.  


I definately prefer this year's design over the dark green from last year.  The pictures are fine, too. My only gripe: not enough Cubs.  A 300 card set should have ten Cubs, not seven.
Of the seven Cubs, three are Hall of Famers and four are active Cubs. There aren't any surprises among the seven.  I do wish that Ron Santo, now that he is in the Hall, would have been included.  I'm surprised that he hasn't shown up in any Topps product yet this year.  


Here's the three HOFers...







....Topps usuals Banks, Dawson, and Sandberg.


All four of the current Cubs in the set were also in the set last year....


 


 

....Castro, Dempster, Garza, and Soto.


Starlin Castro was also in the Sliding Stars insert set.



There was also a Cub in both the Hallmark Heroes and Future Stars sets.  I'll get those up when I get them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad there weren't any Cubs featured in the Moonshots insert set. I found the edges on those to be horrible, at least in my box break.

    ReplyDelete