Sunday, April 1, 2012

Name the Game: Starlin Castro Topps 2012


This is my first "Name the Game" with the Topps 2012 set.



Here is the featured card, Starlin Castro's short-print variation. You might look at this and think it would be impossible to nail down the game date. There isn't much to go on at first glance. The Cubs are in their road grays; but they probably wore those 50 - 60 times during the season.

So we have to dig a bit deeper. The dugout wall has a clue, since there is a NewEra ad on it. My extensive knowledge of the 15 other National League dugouts led me to San Diego's Petco Park.



The Cubs played their last three games of the 2011 season at Petco. So now, let's see if Castro did anything wave-worthy in those games.

Bingo! Before the game, some fans were calling his name and he turned and gave them the thumbs up. So I can definitely say that this picture is from September 28, 2011. Case closed!

And you may be calling BS. Are you thinking that I am playing some sort of April Fools joke on you?

NO! This picture is 100% from September 28, 2011. And here is your proof!

Actually, the part I wrote about the dugouts and the waving fans is BS. I don't know much of anything about the other NL dugouts. I found the picture by accident, doing a Google Image search on Castro for another post.



When this picture showed up in the search, I recognized it immediately as the SP card; a very easy Name The Game.

3 comments:

  1. Have the Padres sold every square inch of wall space for advertising? Even the edge of the roof of the dugout has new era on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought you were going to tell us that Castro debuted his 3" wristbands in San Diego on X date.

    Your 'drill down' researc is always impressive!!

    ReplyDelete